By Bob Myhan
INTRODUCTION: "Throughout history, people have believed there is a Reality in the universe greater than themselves. They have called this Reality by the name of God" [World Book, Vol. 8, page 233]. Although most religious groups believe in God, they do not all believe the same things about God. What does the Bible say about God?
THREE PERSONS ARE GOD
1. They are the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matt. 3:16-17; 28:19; Eph. 4:4-6).
a. Is the Son of God (Luke 1:31-35; 1 Pet. 1:3; 1 John 1:3)
b. Is equal with God (John 5:17-18; Phil. 2:5-8)
c. Is God (Heb. 1:8; John 8:58; Ex. 3:13)
d. Is Jehovah [the word LORD refers to Jehovah] (Isa. 40:3; John 1:14-34)
3. Holy Spirit:
a. Is sent from Christ and from God (John 14:26; 15:26)
b. Is God (Acts 5:3-4)
c. Is Jehovah [again, the word LORD refers to Jehovah] (Jer. 31:31-34; Heb. 10:15-17)
THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD
1. God is One (Deut. 6:4; Isa. 44:6; 1 Cor. 8:4).
2. The "One God" is a united One (Gen. 1:26-27; 3:22; 11:5-9).
a. H2O is one chemical composition but can be water, ice or steam, depending on its temperature.
b. Husband & wife are to be one flesh, but cannot be one person (Gen. 2:24).
c. Believers are to be one, but cannot be one person (John 17:20-21; Gal. 3:28).
THERE IS SUBORDINATION WITHIN THE GODHEAD
1. Subordination in operation, but not in existence or in essence (1 Cor. 11:3).
a. The Father sent the Son (1 John 4:14).
b. One sent is not greater than the One who sent Him (John 13:16).
c. Father greater than the Son (John 14:28), in some sense other than existence and essence.
d. Jesus came to do the will of the Father (John 6:38).
e. Father & Son would [and did] send the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 15:26).
2. The Son willingly subordinated Himself to the Father (Phil. 2:5-7).
3. The Holy Spirit would [and did] willingly subordinate Himself to the Father and the Son (John 16:7-15).
4. In the physical creation the Father planned, the Word executed and the Holy Spirit arranged and organized (Heb. 1:1,2; John 1:1-3; Col. 1:14-16; Gen. 1:1,2).
5. In the spiritual creation the Father planned, the Word executed and the Holy Spirit arranged and organized (Titus 1:1,2; 2 Tim. 1:8,9; Heb. 10:5-10; 1 Cor. 15:1-8; Heb. 2:3,4; Eph. 3:1-7; 1 Cor. 2:6-13).
CONCLUSION: The Father, Son & Holy Spirit are One God but three persons. They are one in essence, in plan and in purpose. They are distinct in personality and in operation.